Saturday, February 18, 2012

Walk on the Wild Side

We went up to Fredericksburg today, about 30 minutes NE of here. They have a big flea market the third weekend of every month. It was very wet, rainy, and muddy outside the ramshackle buildings, most of which were like old drafty barns filled with stalls of the various vendors. Lots of junk, home-made salsas and preserves, cottage crafts from clothing to placemats, guns, knives, girl guide cookies -- but the award has to go to a really weird semi-covered area overseen by a Cajun Santeria priestess whose theme seemed to be New Orleans shortly after the flooding. Check out the photos below. She has an old travel trailer out back crammed full of more treasures. I went back there to ask her a price on the lion head shown in one of the photos. I was warned by my friend "go ask her but DON'T go in!" and I went alone, coward!

The market was not a total bust, though, as I scored a pair of bling flip flops that are so popular with the Texan women down here. Encrusted with huge rhinestones, 50% off, and even had my size! Love it!

No comments: